House of Cards Will Move Forward without Kevin Spacey

12/06/2017

House of Cards will be returning for its final season without star Kevin Spacey.

 

House of Cards will continue for one final eight-episode series with Robin Wright in the lead, Netflix content chief Ted Sarandos announced Monday morning.

“We are excited to bring closure to fans,” he said. He also acknowledged that the 2000 members of production crew whose job have been up in the air after multiple people accused Spacey, who plays Frank Underwood in the series, of sexual assault, can return to work.

Robin, 50, who plays First Lady and Vice Presidential Claire Underwood on the hit Netflix show, and has appeared in all 52 episodes of the show, previously campaigned to be paid the same as her co-star Spacey.

The move comes after claims of sexual misconduct were made against Spacey. The Oscar-winning actor has been mired in scandal since late October, when he was accused by actor Anthony Rapp of inappropriate behavior committed when Spacey was in his twenties and Rapp was a teenager. Spacey apologized, though he said he does not remember the alleged incident; he also decided to “seek evaluation and treatment.” Since then, other men have come forward to accuse Spacey of sexual misconduct. Former House Of Cards employees also claimed Spacey turned the set into a “toxic” environment through a pattern of harassment, and similar claims have been made regarding The Old Vic, the London theatre where he was artistic director from 2003-2015.

House of Cards was Netflix’s first original series. It debuted in 2013 to much critical acclaim and helped put the subscription service among the big terrestrial channels. In its first five series, it got 46 Emmy nominations and six wins. No date is on the books for the new season yet, but at least the series will be able to finish more naturally than it might.